Friday 4 January 2008

what I did on my summer holidays...

So I launched into talking about food! That's how I start the New Year, is it?!

I mean, I *have* resolved to be healthy and lose weight and all the
usual January promises - but I *still* go on imaginary binges!

Okay. Let's take a step back.

I enjoyed the Christmas holiday break.

We went away with another couple to the Shoalhaven area for the
weekend before Christmas (a couple of hours drive south of Sydney,
along the coast.) It was just lovely to relax and get away.

We resolved the issue with Hubby's driving license suspension. It just
goes to show - you can access *real people* in
government-agency-call-centre hell! You just need to be a bit clever
about it - such as using the number supplied for overseas callers so
that instead of getting put on hold, the same two people answer the
phone straight away every time! Anyway, with much harassment from my
end - consisting of spamming them with evidence of Hubby's innocence
and arguing against all suggestions from them that he elect to go on a
good behaviour bond (because it makes their paperwork easier), I got
the whole thing revoked. In writing. From both government agencies
involved. Before Christmas even! Yay me!

And Christmas was wonderful. My cousin and her family were visiting
from Perth. She has three kids and it was the first time (since we
were kids) that we had children around for Christmas. It certainly
changes things in a very nice way. They were good kids - great to hang
out with.

The three Opera House concerts were fantastic. I just loved the
feeling of being on stage in a full house in the Concert Hall with
such talented performers. I had a total schoolgirl crush on the
conductor! I loved the music. It's such a high to be part of that.

NYE was nice. We just wanted a simple one this year - Hubby's still
not in the celebratory mood at all and it's been hard on him.
Christmas was hard. It's still weird, you know - that he can't just
pick up the phone and call his Dad. It was just so sudden. Anyway.

We caught the fireworks - very, very pretty - avoided the crowds,
didn't drink much and went to bed early...

...and thought the usual thoughts about how much happens in just one
year and how quickly it all went by.

6 comments:

Mr. Guinness said...

Jezzy,
you mentioned your love of Choir work. It's funny my wife sings in two choirs and loves it. I have a bass voice but just can't commit to all the damn rehearsals! Sooooo, I usually wind up being the "Narrator" of the concerts. (LOVE IT!! I jump in at dress rehearsal, practice by myself, and show up at performance time! Now that's up my alley! Leaves me time for pints with my mates at the Pub, instead of practice, practice, practice!!!
I detect a sense of "maturity" in your "meanderings on life". Trust me, a good woman, (man in your case), a few trials and tribulations together, "for better or for worse", and you are forging a bond of the hardest steel together!
Have a great New Year,... and keep writing!

Anonymous said...

It's so strange to hear Christmas and NYE referred to as a "summer break", even though I've been there, I've seen the seasonal shift with mine own eyes...seriously, it's 12 (F) here, which works out in Celsius to...frickin' cold. (-12 celsius, they tell me)

Congrats on getting the license thing cleared up. I'm impressed that you were able to out-stubborn the government, that's not easy, no matter where you live...

My best to you and hubby!

NWJR said...

Bureaucracies are the same the world 'round, aren't they?

Hope you and yours have a great year.

Anonymous said...

Is S.C. from South Carolina? Oh yes - it's freaking freezing here. So cold our water pipes froze yesterday and we had no water for hours. We couldn't leave the faucets dripping the night before because we're also in the middle of a terrible drought and were afraid our well would dry up.

Good for you for taking care of that license thing! Clever tactics indeed! I will remember that advice about the overseas number... brilliant!

We had a low key NYE too. I think it's very comforting to just cuddle, drink a little wine, and get reflective as the new year begins!

M said...

I love your clever use of the overseas number for taking care of that license thingy. Excellent work!

Kira said...

Glad to hear you outstubborned the gov't! That's a difficult task.

Our NYE was mellow, too--a few friends, a little bit of wine, and a lot of laughter. That was it, but we'll take it.

Children rock to make Christmas more interesting. You can borrow our two (perfect! of course!) kids if you need to :)

Happy New Year!