Tuesday 19 February 2008

My aunt (mum's sister) was diagnosed with uterine cancer yesterday.
It's just so shocking - and frustrating. I mean, she's been through enough in the past couple of years - including a very painful divorce. How much more can one person take?
 
We wont know much more until her operation in a couple of weeks, but at the moment, we do know that it's stable - however, the extent of the spread could be very bad indeed. I don't think her oncologist was very positive when he was telling her about what he saw during her D&C.
 
She's had symptoms for two years and like a typical health professional, never did anything about it.
 
Anyway, my grandma and another aunt are coming to Australia for a holiday, arriving tommorow. They haven't been told about it yet as there's no point in worrying them during their flight over here. Actually, we don't know if we're going to tell grandma at all. It's not good to withhold information, but in the elderly, things like the c word can cause such a shock that they find it hard to recover.
 
My mum and my cousins and, well, all the family are just really upset about it at the moment.
 
Stuff happens that is just so weird.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this Jezzy. Here's hoping that it's confined and removable.

Anonymous said...

Anything involving cancer is terrifying. When they found cancer cells in my mom and she had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago, it all happened so quickly... and was so frightening. But she's doing great now and feels so much better. I hope your aunt is able to have it all removed and proceed to a speedy recovery. I think you are probably right about telling your grandmother. It's a tough call, but it seems like the right thing in the short term at least.

Jill said...

I'm sorry to hear about this Jezzy. I hope that the surgery is successful and that your aunt recovers smoothly and easily.

deemacgee said...

Oh my. That's terrible to hear. She must keep positive and stay strong... and give her our best healing wishes.

*hugs*

general_boy said...

Hope it all goes OK Jezzy. Take care. :)

Kira said...

Wow--that's rough! Your poor aunt. She really has been through too much. I have no idea why some people are tested that way more than others. It's like my sister's three girls--one has never been sick or injured other than the flu or a bad cold here and there; one broke a wrist once but otherwise was ok; and then there's poor Allegra! At 17, she has in her life broken her collarbone completely all the way through twice, had a burning poison put in her eye by accident to where she was in excruciating pain (and temporarily blind with the thought from her doc that it might be permanent--but thankfully it eventually healed), had pneumonia and went to the hospital, had a cancer in her lymph nodes that had to be removed from her arm pit...what HASN'T happened to this girl?

I hope your aunt is in no pain at the very least, and at the most, recovers completely.