Friday 28 March 2008

How do I get out of it? Advice please...

So what's the ettiquette when a friend invites you to his birthday
party but it's at the races on a Saturday morning and it's going to
cost $140 (that's US$129) per head and with two people, it's going to
be, well, $280 and you really can't afford it, and even if you could,
you can't justify spending that amount of money on a 27th birthday
party for someone who is old enough to know better than to expecty his
friends to cough up that much money on him?

And what do you say to get out of it without being labelled a tightarse?


In other news, my Dad got picked up last night for drink driving.
He blew a 0.055. Hubby and I picked him up from the police station.

I have to say, I have no sympathy for the nagging my Mum is going to
give him for the rest of his life. My poor mum had been stranded at
the side of the road because she doesn't drive. Hubby drove her home
and I drove Dad home - they needed to be separated as she was shaking
and would have ripped his head off. He's just such a larrikin about it
all - I really hope he grows up and learns his lesson because he can't
run his business if he loses his license.

6 comments:

deemacgee said...

That's a tough one. Not sure... I'd probably say something like, "oh, I've already got plans!"... and then make plans. Which is terrible, really, but only one-seventh of your life happens on a Saturday, so reclaim them when you can.

As for your dad: wow. People still drink and drive?

Anonymous said...

The birthday thing, two options. You could say mrjezzy has a job booked that morning. That gets him out of it, and you could have a saturday morning shift that no-one else can cover.

Otherwise beg off with a migraine or food poisoning or something.

Grant said...

How about "I can't afford that kind of money right now. Can you come over for a home-cooked meal?" Or just tell him you don't really like him that much.

Jill said...

I would dodge the money conversation too by simply telling him that you have other plans. You shouldn't feel obligated to attend especially with that kind of outlay. If he asks, I would admit that the price tag is steep but I would stick to the "Other Plans" excuse to help maintain the friendship.

Anonymous said...

I think saying you have other plans is fine. It isn't exactly lying... your other plans are to use the money for something else, lol. =o)

general_boy said...

OMG, never a dull moment in Jezzyworld, huh??!

I'd say they will take your dad's license, but if he can prove hardship ( get a good solicitor NOW ) he might be able to bargain in terms of not haggling about the fine, but reducing the suspension ( possibly 3 months, in some cases you can get restricted use but that's usually only if you are a carer ). Oh... he'll be on P-plates afterwards too...

As for the 140 bucks, ouch! Try having a father in law who did that to you for years, including while you were a struggling student. Probably ostracising your freind as we chose to is not an option!!

Can you do a compromise? Like maybe meet at a pub later, or grab a meal? I gotta say... I'd balk at $280 for a 21st birthday!!!!!!!!