Saturday 12 April 2008

Over Committed

Life feels like a never-ending cycle at the moment.
I'm working at the pharma company full time, practising as a
pharmacist on Saturdays, marking papers for graduate pharmacy
students, trying to write up some more PhD research for publication,
writing an abstract for the conference I'm presenting in September
(yay - am being paid to go to Switzerland!)

Then there's the student I have once a week for piano and violin
lessons, three hours of choir and chorale a week - not including the
practice needed.

I hardly get out to see friends which is pretty bad - as most
evenings, I either visit with my parents or my aunt and cousins. Plus
at the moment, I'm helping to take care of my grandma on weekends.

So right now, it's Saturday, and I don't even feel like going out
tonight. I just want sleep. I need an extra day per week just to catch
up because I don't have enough time to dedicate to my house and garden
and there's a dead, headless possum in my front garden and it's just
so completely disgusting and people should not have cats in this
country because they kill our native wildlife and are evil.

So...

...if I feel this frazzled, and I don't even have kids yet, how am I
going to cope when I'm a proper grown-up with kidlets in my care??

7 comments:

NWJR said...

I can honestly say I've never read a blog post—ever—that had the phrase, "there's a dead, headless possum in my front garden".

Anonymous said...

You will cope just fine, but there will be alot of things that will simply fall by the wayside, or change in a big way. Having kids has a way of doing that.

I'm not predicting, but speculating: it's likely that choir may fade away for a while; you may not have time for the second and third jobs; you will probably spend even more time with the family and cousins, but it will be centered more around the baby, and not adults; long walks with hubby can still happen, but they will most often made pushing a pram; the friends you stay in close touch with will likely be the ones with other little kiddies, and you may well be more involved in the life of your church; your professional writing may take a hit unless you budget time for it, but if you're serious about it - and have support from your hubby - you should be able to keep that going.

Bottom line: life will change, some things for worse, much more for better. It's the paradox of life, no? In short, your focus changes, but it's not the end of the world. The world shifts on its axis but it doesn't fall into sun, and life goes on, even bigger and better.

You'll be fine, milady. You'll be fine. ;-)

Anonymous said...

see is right. Life will change. How it will change I don't think anyone can predict. Your priorities change around this little helpless thing that needs you 24/7. It's a very steep learning curve. You also learn to cherish those moments when said little helpless thing is asleep!

general_boy said...

I really hate that feeling - so much that a few years ago I just randomly started saying "no" to things.

You get better at it with time. ;)

carmilevy said...

Life-juggling is the skill/gift that sets those who can apart from those who can't. As much as I wish for more peace and quiet, I'm heartened by what a now-late friend once told me: talent is its own magnet, and it tends to attract the attention of others and fill our time more than we'd like. But the alternative, he continued, might not be as fulfilling.

Still, I could use a nap :)

Hope things ease off for you soon. You, more than most people I know, seem to have burning the candle at all six ends down to a science.

Anonymous said...

Hope it gets better soon! Of course, writing for publication is good... or so I keep telling myself, lol! =o)

Amanda said...

If you figure out how to get an extra day per week, please let me know. I know a few people who would pay dearly for an extra day!