Saturday 24 May 2008

Walking!

So yesterday our company started the Gl0bal C0rporate Challenge.

For those who don't know, it's like a virtual Amazing Race thing where
office workers all wear pedometers and work in teams of 7, logging in
steps everyday. The aim is to make the average office worker (who
tends to do around 6000 steps per day) more active by aiming for 10000
steps.

I was pleased, clocking at over 11000 yesterday. This is much more
than I'd managed to achieve on my own. My previous attempts at using a
pedometer put me at around 8000 per day.

I think the competitive thing appeals to me!

Anyway, it's 2pm today and I'm already at 10837. My aim is to get
closer to 15000 because that seems achievable and would burn around
2500kJ per day and hopefully help me lose a bit of weight. I'm aching
to gain back my 24 year old body!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - I've been taking part in the 10,000 step challenge and find it hard to do that many steps...what are you doing to get up to that many? I tried to get my section in a team and they all said great idea, but none of them signed up, so I am on my own!

Kira said...

If my workplace did that, I'd so get in my 10000 steps. I get neurotic when there's numbers involved and somebody's taking score! Maybe I should just buy one and see what happens...

Anonymous said...

My daughter just got a job at our local health food store. They are doing the 10000 step thing too; for their contest, they are supposed to wear their pedometers to work. If the upper level management people come in to their store, they check the pedometers. Anyone with 10K average for each day gets a $100 bill on the spot. I would totally get my 10,000 steps in if someone were paying me, lol!

The Painted Sky said...

I've tried to 10,000 steps a day thingy in an attempt to get back my 40 year old body....when I get that back, then I'm going after my 35 year old body etc until I reach the tender age of 28 :)

You need to travel...I wore a pedometer whilst gallery hopping in New York, London and Paris....and averaged over 25,000 steps a day for 3 weeks.

Doing it in an office is hard...I suggest you walk to work ;)